[c-nsp] Etherchannel & 7507/5500 combo

James Saker jsaker at americanrelay.com
Tue May 10 13:19:22 EDT 2005

Seems like I'm missing something simple on my Etherchannel implementation
between a 7507 and a Catalyst 5500. I've worked thru the Cisco LAN Switching
section on Etherchannel and various cisco.com documents and configurations,
but appear to be overlooking something.

My configuration is a 7507 with a 100BASETX and 100BASEFX port that connect
to the 5500 (fa1/0/0 and fa4/1/0 respectively). The 5500 has a TX and FX
blade, with the FX connection on 4/1 and the TX on 7/1.

The objective of the etherchannel config is to provide the 7507 with 200
Mbps of aggregate capacity for VLAN trunking out via the 5500. MPLS is also
expected to be carried across the 5500 to remote routers, originating from
the 7507. FX and TX combination is for slot diversity on both the 7507 and
the 5500.

I've set up the 7507 in what should be a textbook config, creating the port
channel interface first and then bringing the physical interfaces into
membership:

interface Port-channel1
 no ip address
 full-duplex
 tag-switching ip
 hold-queue 150 in
!
interface FastEthernet1/1/0
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 no ip proxy-arp
 full-duplex
 # note: no tag-switching IP here as it's defined on port channel, correct?
 fair-queue
 channel-group 1
!
interface FastEthernet4/1/0
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 no ip proxy-arp
 full-duplex
 fair-queue
 channel-group 1
!

show int port-channel 1 looks normal:

router1#show interfaces port-channel 1
Port-channel1 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is FEChannel, address is 00d0.bc6a.a028 (bia 0000.0000.0000)
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 200000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive set (10 sec)
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
    No. of active members in this channel: 2
        Member 0 : FastEthernet1/1/0 , Full-duplex, 100Mb/s
        Member 1 : FastEthernet4/1/0 , Full-duplex, 100Mb/s

So I'm guessing my problem is on the 5500, which claims no ports are
channeling. Configuration is as follows:

#frame distribution method
set port channel all distribution mac both
#mls
set mls disable ip
set mls nde disable
!
#port channel
set port channel 7/1 1
set port channel 4/2 19
set port channel 4/1 37
!
# default port status is enable
!
!
#module 1 : 0-port Supervisor III
!
#module 4 : 12-port 100BaseFX MM Ethernet
set vlan 101  4/1
set port duplex     4/1  full
set trunk 4/1  on dot1q 1-1005
set port channel 4/1 mode on
set port channel 4/2 mode desirable silent
!
#module 7 : 24-port 10/100BaseTX Ethernet
set vlan 2    7/3
set vlan 3    7/2
set vlan 4    7/4
set vlan 101  7/1
set vlan 1    7/24
set port speed      7/1  100
set port duplex     7/1  full
set port broadcast  7/1   75.00%
set trunk 7/1  on dot1q 1-1005
set spantree portfast    7/1 enable
set port channel 7/1 mode on
!

I'm guessing I'm overlooking something - having reviewed the config examples
and experimented quite a bit. Any thoughts?

Jamie

Sr. Network Engineer
American Relay Company