[c-nsp] VLAN SUBNET

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Wed May 11 05:13:47 EDT 2005

On Wednesday 11 May 2005 11:03, Hitesh Vinzoda wrote:
> hey fellows .... got stuck in VLAN thing
>
> can neone help me regrding this i ll be very thankful
> to em...
>
> 1. We give IP to VLAN to some say ... 10.0.12.1
> 255.255.252.0
>
> than is it necessary tht each switch port assigned to
> that VLAN needs to be of same subnet or network.

Hmmh, not necessarily. As long as there's more than one
host with the same IP range in a VLAN, they should be
able to speak. I just think you may have more noise on
the VLAN if you have hosts multiple (working) address
ranges.

> 2. if a DHCP is configured in the other Vlan Say VLAN
> 2 and configured to lease 172.16.0.0 network IP than
> if I plug a host in in the above mentioned VLAN1 port
> through a segment containing a unmanaged switch with
> other hosts having IP of 10.0.12.0 series than will
> the host be able to get IP of range 172.16.0.0...????

Well, think of a VLAN as a dedicated switch - a group of
VLANs form their own broadcast domain (logical switch).
So if your DHCP server is in VLAN 2, hosts in VLAN 1
will not see any packets to/from the DHCP server unless
through a L3 device attached to the switch, e.g.,
router, RSM, e.t.c.

Hope this helps.

Mark.