[c-nsp] Cisco 2924XL Questions

John Neiberger John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com
Wed May 11 10:03:57 EDT 2005

>>> Paul Stewart <pauls at nexicom.net> 5/11/05 6:28:54 AM >>>
>
>Thanks John for the detailed answers (this message and previous)....
>
>I didn't realize the 2950 had these issues.. you have just saved me a
>BUNCH of time and I thank you.... yeah, hehe.. the good old days of
>duplex mismatches... *almost* miss some of that fun...;)
>
>Paul

Interestingly, our experience with the 2950, 2948G, 2980G, and 6500
switches led us to change our company standards. We used to belong to
the "Autonegotiation is Evil" club, but not any longer. The standard
setting on all equipment is now auto, and we only manually set the speed
and duplex if there is a problem that can't be resolved any other way.
The cause of the problem is usually a bad cable, bad NIC, or
non-standard NIC drivers so we check that stuff first.

Regards,
John