[c-nsp] Redundancy vs. Paranoia

Jessup, Toby Toby.Jessup at qwest.com
Thu May 12 15:11:40 EDT 2005

I won't attempt to answer the subjective question "how much is enough"
since the answer is "it depends".

Regarding the WAN side of your question, it can be said that the highest
degree of system reliablility is achieved when redundant transmission
paths are highly diverse -- different equipment on both ends, different
locations, different provisioning of the transmission path, different
service provider products (when end-to-end redundant). And when
redundant WAN systems combine highly diverse transmission paths, the
paths tend to be unequal (different capacity, latency, etc.) and
balancing traffic loads becomes more complex or impossible.

Since adding complexity is counter-productive in a design that seeks
maximum reliability, attempting to precisely balance traffic loads
should not be a priority. No one at NASA ever discusses load balancing
on backup systems. A primary/standby secondary WAN design with highly
diverse provisioning is the most fault-tolerant WAN design possible (and
also recognize that such systems must be maintained, documented and
tested by staff).

So, just keep a clear view of your employer's business goals/budget in
the design process. If absolute system survivability is the goal (big
bucks), management should not also insist on cleverly load balancing WAN
links -- that would be irrational. A standby secondary service can be
inexpensive -- usage-based billing may be available on the standby
secondary access line service and use ACLs, whatever, to permit only
mission-critical traffic flows on the minimum-capacity backup path
during a failure. How often does an optically-provisioned (?) primary
service in an urban environment actually fail?

Toby Jessup
Qwest Communications
National Technical Services
1600 Seventh Avenue, Room 1911