[c-nsp] Redundancy vs. Paranoia

Mike Bernico mbernico at illinois.net
Thu May 12 16:35:58 EDT 2005

I tend to like redundant boxes, if only for the fact that I can pull one
down (very carefully) for maintenance during our maintenance windows
without breaking the entire network.

The bigger question however is "how much redundancy is too much?"  As
others have already answered, it depends.   That being said, imagine a
graph with redundancy on the x axis and availability on the y.  As you
add redundancy availability should increase.  However, in the BEST CASE
there is a point of diminishing returns.  In many cases I've seen
networks where availability begins to actually decrease due to
complexity.

I recently worked on a network that could trace every single failure it
had over the last two years to complexity.  This was an extreme case,
and involved 4 redundant boxes for every function and 8 paths upstream.
That being said, this network's uptime was undoubtedly negatively
impacted by too much redundancy.  You can address some of these
complexity issues with good change control and careful documentation,
but in the end their down time (in terms of MTBF, but especially MTTR)
will be reduced by simplicity.

Redundancy is a good thing, but too much is bad.  The trick is knowing
when to quit.  :)

Mike