[c-nsp] t-1 load balancing options to deal with apparent congestion

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri May 13 09:21:51 EDT 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Jeff Chan wrote:

> Ping times across the WAN run around 2 ms most of the time, but
> some occasionally go to 100 or 200 ms.  It's possibly congestion

Pinging the opposite router, or pinging something beyond the opposite
router?  High response times when pinging the router don't necessarily
mean much.

> Are there other common sources of latency or congestion we should
> be checking for?  What alternative configs should we consider,
> particularly if we don't want to run MLPPP or per-packet load
> balancing?  How does one diagnose sources of latency in such an
> environment?

Why wouldn't you run MLPPP?  I was afraid of it for years after having
some bad experiences with trying to get it working, but have recently done
several.