[c-nsp] Help configuring a Cisco 1841 with wic 1DSU-T1-v2

William L. Thomson Jr. support at obsidian-studios.com
Sat May 14 00:45:29 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 00:23 -0400, Vinny Abello wrote:
> The Netopia is connected via a T1 to a Coppermountain concentration
> device. That's what CM-HDLC means. I'm guessing Coppermountain's HDLC
> is different than Cisco's which is possibly why you're having
> problems.

Yes that is what my gut is saying. I spoke with Cisco. They were no
sure? But seems that is the issue.

>  We used to use quite a few Coppermountain DSLAMs with
> Netopia routers and still have them deployed in many areas.

Seems their use is increasing? Or Dslams that are not Cisco compliant.

>  Never got
> or wanted to use a T1 blade in one of them so I can't help you beyond
> that, but the Coppermountain stuff had a limited number of CPE's that
> it worked with. I believe the provider should be able to switch to
> what's called hdlc-ppp on their side. It's probably on just hdlc
> right now. Other encapsulation options include frame relay (1490),
> PPP over frame, ATM, and a bunch of other similar encapsulations I've
> never touched on a Coppermountain.

On phone with provider now. We will see :)

>  We typically just used RFC1483
> over SDSL lines.

Sore subject. I have used SDSL lines for like 4 years till recently
getting my own T1. I can't believe Cisco does not make a SDSL router
that works with the SDSL providers in the US. :)

I thought there stuff was standards compliant and would work with
anything?

>  As an intermediary solution, see if the Netopia can
> support being changed into a bridge itself.

Now that's a level of desperation I do not want. For that matter they
have a Cisco pix they would use and send back the $3k 1841 with all the
bitchen security software and etc. ;)

>  This option is usually
> under the System Configuration menu. Then you can bridge the layer 3
> traffic to your Cisco on an Ethernet port. That could work if you
> just want the functionality of the Cisco and are running out of other
> things to try. Or, you could always simply have the Netopia have
> assigned a /30 to the LAN side and assign the Cisco to the other. Not
> the ideal solution of course... just a suggestion as I know what it's
> like to go around in circles trying to get something to work. Good luck. :)

Yes and I get motion sick, so I puked a few times already. Seems I might
be making some progress on the telco side of things.

These things are always fun, and always new problems to run into. ;)

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.