[c-nsp] Redundancy vs. Paranoia

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Sun May 15 16:30:59 EDT 2005

As a field engineer, I have to disagree with (only) one point Hank made.  We
replace blown power supplies on a fairly regular basis (although the number of
units replaced is probably quite small compared to the number of chassis' out
there), but the number of Sup's and PA's replaced due to failure is tiny.  If
you have a chassis that can handle multiple power supplies, I'd strongly
suggest filling up every spare space with them.

The larger sites I have seen have had three phase power supplies, and run one
phase to each PSU.  As each phase has it's own transformer/fuse/wiring setup
from the supplier, it helps provide some redundancy in case power is partially
lost.

reuben