[c-nsp] Catalyst 6500 series switches and Cisco 7600 series routers do not support Integrated routing and bridging (IRB)

Manu Chao linux.yahoo at gmail.com
Mon May 16 11:28:15 EDT 2005

Hi there,

I need to use IRB with bridge protocol IEEE on a 6500 running IOS
Version 12.2(18)SXD2 but this feature doesn't exist anymore. I
understand why but I need it ;-)

I need to bridge n L2 VLANs ending on the 6500 to one L3 VLAN local to
this same 6500.

CISCO-6500(config)#bridge 1 protocol ?

  dec          DEC protocol
  ibm          IBM protocol
  vlan-bridge  vlan-bridge protocol

---- vlan 201---->

---- vlan 202---->

                              I R B  ----> vlan 200 (IP 10.0.0.1/24)

---- vlan 203---->

---- vlan 204---->

Bridge protocol ieee are not support anymore.

It is possible to bridge two L3 VLANs with "bridge protocol 1
vlan-bridging " but it seems we cannot bridge and route on the same
VLAN.

Cisco release notes are clear on this issue:

"Catalyst 6500 series switches and Cisco 7600 series routers do not
support Integrated routing and bridging (IRB)"

Can someone find a solution (other than downgrading to release 11) or
a workaround?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Linux