[c-nsp] DS-3 -> OC-3 upgrade

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon May 16 20:51:54 EDT 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Gert Doering wrote:

> What's "relatively low pps" for you?  A NPE-G1 should be able to shove
> through a OC-3 worth of 64byte packets with a load below 50% - unless
> you have "evil" features enabled, IP accounting being the worst of them.

I saw this router buckle under a ~50kpps ICMP flood on top of the normal
traffic.  It dropped out of the IBGP mesh and lost all OSPF adjacencies.
The interfaces were still up, do the router still had enough juice to
handle keepalives, but it was pretty much unresponsive to all admin
connections - console was barely usable.  This was traffic directed at a
customer behind the router, not to the router itself.

7206VXR, NPE-G1 w/ 512 MB RAM
1 PA-GE to another building
1 DS3 to an upstream provider, full BGP feed (130-140k routes at the time)
1 DS3 to another building
1 FE into the core switch in that building
1 FE cross-connect to another router in the building
Participated in our IBGP mesh at the time with 5 other routers
OSPF backbone area router
CEF enabled globally
CEF/flow caching enabled on each interface, flows exported to a collector

Beyond that, it was running pretty standard stuff - SNMP, TACACS, etc
normal aggregate traffic peaks were probably around 130-140Mb/s

jms