[c-nsp] Cisco VPN client on Mac OS X 10.4 - still broken?

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at hotblack.net
Mon May 16 23:57:13 EDT 2005

All,

Cisco have finally graced the world of Mac users with their Tiger-compatible
4.6.03(0160) client which is officially supported under OS X 10.4.

Unfrotunately I'm not having any luck.

I have attempted to connect to our Cisco VPN concentrator (3000 series) and
it connects, authenticates and displays the connection banner, however, it
doesn't give me any details within the client and the OS doesn't seem to
have a tunnel active.  The client doesn't even show an IP address for the
link and packets still go out the network interface as if I hadn't even
started the client.

Furthermore, when I try and disconnect, nothing happens - the disconnect
button greys itself out for a second and that's it.  I can't even quit the
VPN client and the only way out of it is to kill -9 it.

I have  tried removing the client by hand by removing all modules and
settings files.  I have also tried the 10.4.1 OS update with identical
results.

Others seem to be expericing the same problem.  Is this likely to be a
configuration issue with our concentrators? Our production clients are the
4.03 release.  Is there anything different with the PCF profiles between
4.03 and 4.6?

thanks,
Tristan