[c-nsp] RSP16 and RSP8

Daniel J. Vance dvance at uci.net
Wed May 18 15:58:56 EDT 2005

I've been hearing that because of the RSP8's 256mb memory limit people are
running into BGP issues.

Because of this, I'm looking at going with the RSP16's.  However because of
the price, I'm a little hesitant about picking up two of them (one for a
standby)

Cisco says that you can run an RSP8 as a standby to an RSP16, but I'm
thinking that if it gets used, you'll have the same memory issues as if you
were running the RSP8 as a primary.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Also, does the RSP16 seem like a solid RSP?  I'm looking at using it in a
border router with one burstable OC3 to one Provider and a burstable FastE
to the other.  We are probably looking at <100mbps of aggregate bandwidth.

Some have mentioned the NPE-G1 in a 7206, but I like the idea of having a
backup RSP.

-Daniel

Daniel J. Vance, CCNA  | dvance at uci.net
Network Administrator  | http://www.uci.net
541-388-8711           | UNICOM (ASN 14342)