[c-nsp] RSP16 and RSP8

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Wed May 18 19:51:10 EDT 2005

> I just switched my 256MB boxes down to 12.0S just because of all the bugs
> and the memory usage of 12.2S.  One box with two views, MPLS PE, 2 FE, 84
> T1s
> (3 Ch DS3), and 4 POS DS3 ports on 12.0(26)S5, I'm still hugging 60MB free
> memory... That sucks (but it's over twice as much free memory as I had
> under
> 12.2(18)S4.)

The particular router I'm thinking of runs 12.0(7) (older version), has a
POS DS3 and 3FEs, along with 8 serial ports on an old CX blade that are
all down (we just haven't pulled the blade yet), and a 4 port channelzed
T1 PA that we also don't use. It's mostly just an customer aggregation
router serving our colo, and has lots of VLANs configured on 2 of the FEs.

We actually use *less* memory (about 136 MB or so) on our other router
that has the other end of that POS DS3, an FE to another carrier, but a
lot of T1 customers coming in on two CT3s.

I hadn't thought IOS was burning through so much memory on the newer
versions. Most of the routers I see now are 72xx and 12xxx series, these
two 7500's (a 7507 and 7576) are the last 7500's I deal with.

> So, how in the world do you have 150-160MB free ???? Do all my interfaces
> magically eat up memory under IOS?? should I just stop whining ?

We don't run MPLS, and each router takes one view, with the other view
filtered through the other router. If we had two full views from two
carriers directly on one router we would use more memory.

     -Bill