BGP config WAS RE: [c-nsp] internet redundancy [7:99340]

Vikas Sharma vikassharmas at gmail.com
Thu May 19 06:25:56 EDT 2005

Hi,
 1) You don't need to pay for using ASN as this is default BGP attribute.
2) It is better if u use IBGP internally because IBGP support all attribute
of BGP and one should avoid redistribution as possible.
3) You need your ASN only when u want to differ from ISP policies otherwise
u don't require ASN.
4) To filter you can use
 a) Prefix filtering
 b) AS_path filtering
 c) Route map fltering
 d) Community filtering
 beside this u need to ask ur SP's to broadcast other SP's route in their
network or u may not need this if BGP synchronization is enable in all SPs.
 Chad :- here internet router and core router are different. so no need to
think abt internet link go down as these are seperate router. Redistribution
of default route is a good option with network 0.0.0.0 <http://0.0.0.0> in
bgp, but if that link is down there will not be any connectivity. You can
also use MED attribute to specify the best route.
 Regards
Vikas