[c-nsp] PIX OSPF Configuration

Jimmy Changa changaorama at gmail.com
Thu May 19 09:06:47 EDT 2005

I have 1 router configured with BGP that is then connected to a PIX.

IP Block A is a class C that is has a /27 subnet used for loopback and
numbered link addressing. A portion of the block is used on my PIX for
static NAT translations.

I have OSPF configured on the PIX and the router. IP block is
statically routed to NULL with a metric of 254 (for BGP announcements)
on the router. I have a static route on the PIX pointing the entire
class C to the outside interface. This route is redistributed into
OSPF with a metric of 200. The intention of this is so that the router
would see the announcement from the PIX, keeping me from putting a 2nd
static route on the router pointing it to the PIX.

My problem is that when I reboot the pix and it comes backup, internal
hosts can not reach the /27 network and external hosts cannot reach
the nat translated addresses.

My question, What is the proper way of "routing" nat translated IPs? I
guess they are currently being proxy arped by the PIX. I would prefer
that I use OSPF to get the traffic from the router to the PIX, but
maybe this isn't feasible.