[c-nsp] IP SLA, Object Tracking, Dial Backup

Sascha E. Pollok nsp-list at pollok.net
Thu May 19 09:43:31 EDT 2005

Good day,

I am currently looking at IP SLA w/ object tracking and it's benefits for
detecting e.g. non directly-connected links failures. Surfing the web,
I find several examples (especially on Cisco's website) using floating
default routes for bringing up BRI backup-interfaces and stuff like this.
For me, these solutions only bring up the backup-link when there is
actually traffic flowing from the local network to the outside world
(0.0.0.0).

What I would like to do is e.g. to bring up a Dialer-Interface as soon as
a tracked object fails. I thought I might be able to do this by using a
dialer watch-list and watching some route that disappears when the
tracked object fails but I am not too sure about this. It would be
best if I could cause the default-route to disappear (ok this works
already), to float in a 2nd default route (no problem) and to bring
up the Dialer-interface instantly (problem!). I could use dialer-persist
on the Dialer-interface but since it's "up/up spoofing) all the time
it would come up even without a failure of the main-link or tracked
object. I am looking for a command like "dialer persist track xxx".

Does anyone have a nice hint here?

Thanks!
Sascha