[c-nsp] bgp in the "core"

matthew zeier mrz at intelenet.net
Tue May 24 18:51:00 EDT 2005

I'm looking for examples of data center-like networks and whether or not they
run ibgp in the "core" or just on their transit routers.

My network, roughly, is like this:

transit ---- transit --- transit

   core -- core

access switches, L2

The "core" provides L3 connectivity for customer networks and each transit
router is connected to each "core" router/switch.  The access switches are
plain L2 switches.  Core and transit run OSPF.

The problem I have is that the transit routers are the boxes initiating my BGP
routes and I contend that if they become disconnected from the "core", having
them continue to announce routes is a Bad Thing.

I believe that the core should do the route origination.

Am I off my rocker?