[c-nsp] 6500 SUP720 High Latency and Jitter issues

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Wed May 25 15:27:26 EDT 2005

Ah - you can't use the same IP (same loopback) for all your tunnels, you
have to use unqiue IPs to terminate the tunnels.

More below...

At 12:13 PM 5/25/2005, Dan Benson pronounced:
>At this point here is what I have found:
>
>1: I have no physical errors on any of my ports that are ingress or egress
>to the router.
>
>2: I removed NAT from one of the ports that my upstream ISPs connects to
>and it immediately stopped the traffic Jitter and Latency.  Seems the
>router only liked one outside nat interface.
>Here is where I currently stand:
>
>1:  I have deleted and rebuilt my tunnels, in the beginning I was running
>the tunnel source as the Loopback of my local machine and my destination
>as the Loopback of the router at the far end.  Now I am homing the tunnels
>to my public vlan ip addresses.  This seems to have dropped the CPU load
>on the router by 30%.   When I went to do this same change to another
>tunnel, I spiked the CPU right back up 30%.  I have no clue why on earth I
>could help the CPU with changing the source and destinations of one
>tunnel, and then doing the same exact thing to another tunnels kills me
>again.  Any ideas?

As per above, you can't terminate multiple GRE tunnels on a single IP, the
h/w requires that you use a unique IP for each.

>  It seems half the time I build a tunnel in these machines, they say the
> packets will be software switch, and the other half of the time, they are
> hardware.  There seems to be no science behind this.  Could it be that I
> have too many Tunnels?  Is there a limit as to how many tunnels the SUP
> can handle in hardware?

No hard limit, but scalability may be a concern in some cases. 11 tunnels
is well within the limitations.

>2:  I have rebuilt the NAT config to use a pool for overload instead of an
>interface.  I would have liked to have used my public Vlan interface as
>the outside and my private Vlan interface as the inside, but when I do I
>have no luck with the translations.  After rebuilding the NAT config to
>you use the pool other then an interface,  I could readd the ip nat
>outside to my upstream interfaces without affecting my traffic traversing
>the router.
>
>So my unanswered questions you'll might be so kind to help me with:
>
>1:  From the sounds of it, the 3BXL is able to hardware switch tunnels,
>can the normal SUP720 not?

Yes, any sup720 can do it.

>  If so, is there a limit as to how many tunnels will be hardware/software
> switched?  From my testing, there seems to be no method for this, just
> dumb luck.  I honestly fell as thought I have hit the Max Hardware
> switchable tunnels I can.  I currently have 11 tunnels on this router.

Per the above, I think you are hitting this
limitation:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801609f4.html

find in page "Note the following information about tunnels:"

>2:  Can I NAT from a Vlan interface that is Public to a Vlan interface
>that is private?

Should be fine.

>   Can I overload to the public vlan interface?

Should be fine.

>   If I should be able to, I cannot in the code version I am running.

Is there an error etc? Command is just rejected?

Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759