[c-nsp] GigE Edge router

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue May 31 13:09:25 EDT 2005

> > NPE-G1 was $15000 list price last time I checked, while a 3560 EMI with
> > 4 SFP ports and 24 10/100/1000T ports is $8800. The 3560 (and similarly
> > 3550, 3750, 4500) give you *much* higher performance, *if* you can live
> > with the limitations. The limitations are significant, e.g.
>
> Don't drink the marketing cool-aid.

We are very much aware of the marketing here. That's one of the reasons
why I mentioned significant limitations.

> A higher performance switch yes,
> but not a router.  On the spec sheet it claims "38.7 Mpps", but that's
> probably at layer2, not layer3.

Define router. If it performs forwarding based on L3 information (IP
address), that makes it a router in my book. As for performance, our
tests indicate that the L3 performance of these boxes is basically the
same as L2 in number of pps, Mbps etc.

Oh, and we have had this discussion on cisco-nsp many times before.

> The other big negative is that it's Ethernet only, no WAN options at
> all.  While he's looking to go full Ethernet, that's not where he is today.

Agreed, Ethernet only is a very significant limitation. But I stand by
my original claim - *if* you can live with the limitations, these boxes
have a lot of bang for the buck.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no