[c-nsp] GigE Edge router

Arie Vayner arievayner at gmail.com
Tue May 31 14:25:23 EDT 2005

Hi

If something like 10 GigE ports are enough, I would consider upgrading
the NPE to NPE-G1, and then buying the most simple L2 switch with GigE
ports (like a 3550-12G/T or it's equivalents).
The idea is to connect a trunk between the switch and the router, and
connect the clients to the switch.
On the switch open a L2 vlan per client, while configuring all the IP
and BGP stuff on the router (a sub-if per client)

This would enable you to have all the features you can just imagine,
because the 7200 supports everything, and you would have a relatively
high density GigE aggregation "device".
You can actually off load some of the features to the switch, in order
to save some performance on the NPE-G1, getting even more performance
out of it. I am thinking about things like ACLs, QoS/Policing on the
switch and things like uRPF/BGP on the router.

Arie