[c-nsp] Cisco ISR T3

Kinczli Zoltán Zoltan.Kinczli at Synergon.hu
Tue Nov 1 17:38:25 EST 2005

hello,

 Are you sure? I can remember c72k/PA spec things only, but:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_tech_note09186a00800d76fb.shtml
Hw 1.0 uses cell mode,
  so the PA-A3 forwards *cells* to be reassembled to the NPE/VIP
Hw 2.0 uses frame mode,
  the the SAR does reassebly, as you wrote, and the PA-A3 forward *packets*

I do not know the details for the ATM NM, but if some older versions of an
PA-A3 used cell mode, i'd not be too surprised to see that on the NM as well.

>From other hand, in case of the PA-A3 and PA-A6 there is no fallback to public buffers pools, so the CPU has to protect/share the (fixed sized, determined by the type of NPE) private buffer pool between the VCs (ring limits), and i do not know what else...

Anyway, why is performance considerably less with ATM, if everything is the same?

regards,
 -zoltan