[c-nsp] Cisco ISR T3

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Wed Nov 2 06:11:19 EST 2005

> This is something I've never understood. Why do devices that can
> process Fast Ethernet without even blinking have such a problem with
> DS3? In my mind, a router that can handle multiple FE ports or even a
> single GE port should have no problem running an OC-3.  ;-)

Don't confuse *having* FE/GE ports with driving them at line-rate ;)

I have a great many Cisco routers here with FE port(s) on that are utterly
incapable of passing even 10Mb of traffic - regardless of whether it's on
ethernet ports or some form of WAN interface...

I haven't yet done any testing (or even looked at the paper numbers in any
depth) for the ISRs, although I understand things are getting much better.

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
Data | Voice | Managed Services             f: +44 20 7863 5876