[c-nsp] 7206VXR Crashing on BGP full feed

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Nov 3 18:28:38 EST 2005

Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> Ok
>
> So... I'm getting lots of responses about IOS version. Does this mean that
> it is not worth trying to actually figure out the problem and I should just
> change IOS and see if it still happens?
>
> ...Skeeve

re the crash, the address "0xAB1234CE" looks particularly cooked, i
roshamboe you it's a software problem.

Generally I believe it's good practice to test what you're trying to do
first, particularly when running bleeding edge code.  Wisdom usually
only comes through making mistakes though, so welcome.

However, to help your client more rapidly, we have boxes that look
rather similar, with same/faster and slower NPE's, more routes, 512MB,
and 12.0(28)S<something>.  We have found that reliable enough for the
netflow+ospf+bgp+.1q+acl subint access router role (also as a small
core/border with some less of that junk running).  Even the SNMP
counters work for us (yay even on .1q subints), which is an ever present
complaint.

Alternatively if you want different/other features, you might find
12.2(18)S<something> to your liking.  Keep in mind some things change
between 12.0 and 12.2, such as AAA configuration (i.e., 12.0 has no AAA
groups, 12.2 does), so keep this in mind when/if you go backwards in
versions.  We also have found that particularly reliable.

The software version question does come up regularly, and the 7206 is
arguably the most common box in c-nsp land.  If you had searched the
archives, which are available in searchable form at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=cisco-nsp&r=1&w=2 , you would definitely
have found what you were looking for. (e.g.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=cisco-nsp&w=2&r=1&s=stable+IOS&q=b).

-andrew