[c-nsp] Laptop USB-to-serial adapters - Break sequence?

Brett Looney brett at looney.id.au
Fri Nov 4 00:22:36 EST 2005

At 13:17 4/11/2005, you wrote:
>Apparently the preferred method of dealing with this problem is the
>use ofa dongle that plugs into the laptop's USB port and provides a
>9-pin serial plug.  There seem to be a plethora of these available
>at various prices.
>
>Who has gone down this road before?  Any recommendations or warnings?
>Ideally something that is compatible with BSD or Linux and minicom,
>although I'm actually beginning to like the new Mac laptops which
>are BSD under the hood.

I've used the ATEN UC-232A adapter with great success. Only has a 15
inch (ish) cable but that's good because it doesn't get too tangled
in my bag. Tried several others prior to this one and had not so much
luck - some don't like sending break, etc.

Not sure about its compatibility with Linux or Mac though...

B.