[c-nsp] Laptop USB-to-serial adapters - Break sequence?

Sam Crooks scrooks at ebocom.net
Fri Nov 4 11:56:45 EST 2005

> -------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:23:52 -0800
> From: matthew zeier <mrz at velvet.org>
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Laptop USB-to-serial adapters - Break sequence?
> To: Jay Hennigan <jay at west.net>
> Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
>

> > Who has gone down this road before?  Any recommendations or warnings?
> > Ideally something that is compatible with BSD or Linux and minicom,
> > although I'm actually beginning to like the new Mac laptops which
> > are BSD under the hood.

Hi Jay,

If you are shopping for a laptop.... get the RS-232 port on it... they
still make them.  I have a Dell D610 with a DB9 RS-232 on the back _and_
on the docking station, running RHEL4, Fedora Core 4, WinXP and Win2003
Server  (I can't wait until Apple releases their i686-runnable 0sX
version... :-)  )

VMWare Workstation 5.5 performance is acceptable for everything under
RHEL4, under Fedora4 for your Office-type apps it is OK... not so hot
for Visio.
(but Fedora4 will talk to your iPod and GPS units that RHEL4
won't  :-|  )

Minicom works OK, but PowerTerm is a much nicer Linux term program, for
$100... worth it..

I have always had really bad luck with the damn usb converters not
working properly or not being around...  and it is hard enough to make
Linux talk to a lot of usb stuff without adding the complication of some
obscure usb device...

> All the crappy DELLs management forced on me are like that - so I have a bin
> of USB->db9 dongles now.  Works just like a normal serial port (except that
> someone invariably loses the dongle right around the time some piece of
> hardware craps out).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  What models Matt??

> And to your subject, break sequence works the same.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message, and any attachments, are intended only for the lawful and specified use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are STRICTLY PROHIBITED from disclosing, printing, storing, disseminating, distributing or copying this communication, or admitting to take any action relying thereon, and doing so may be unlawful. It should be noted that any use of this communication outside of the intended and specified use as designated by the sender, may be unlawful.  If you have received this in error, please immediately notify us by return e-mail, fax and/or telephone, and destroy this original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner.