"unsupported" features in IOS ("mpls mtu") (was: Re: [c-nsp] High Availability PoP Design)

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Fri Nov 4 12:31:21 EST 2005

We support 1500 byte ip headers on those PA's +
6 labels (24) bytes.

That is minus the ethernet/dot1	headers.

The problem was we originally didn't do per bounds checking
on each filed (it's too performance impacting).

It's an extremely complicated set of things on how and
when fragmentation is done.

People thought the tag mtu command was doing something it wasn't
in the first place so that's why we changed it.

Rodney