"unsupported" features in IOS ("mpls mtu") (was: Re: [c-nsp] High Availability PoP Design)

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Fri Nov 4 13:15:26 EST 2005

Setting the mtu for MPLS is supposed to just reflect
the additional encap bytes needed for the MPLS labels.

The underlying packet size does not change.

ie: We only support 1500 byte packets with 6 labels
+ ether headers (plus dot1q).

Setting it to 1516 would be valid and it's supposed to
mean: allow a packet through without fragmentation that
has less than 4 labels on it (4 labels at 4 bytes each
is 16 bytes).

What confused people was they tried to set the mtu to something
higher and then add gre headers in it not wanting the ip
to be fragmented with say one label. It didn't work under all
scenarios and it never should have. That's where folks were
confused.

Rodney