[c-nsp] Microsoft multicasted cluster vs. Cisco IOS

David Sinn dsinn at dsinn.com
Fri Nov 4 19:42:12 EST 2005

RFC 1812 strictly precludes routers from accepting ARP's where the
returned MAC address is a multicast one:

3.3.2 Address Resolution Protocol - ARP

[SNIP]

    A router MUST not believe any ARP reply that claims that the Link
    Layer address of another host or router is a broadcast or multicast
    address.

Vendor H's implementation isn't far off what Cisco used to do:  Punt
all the packets to software because you aren't expecting a multicast
MAC mapped to a unicast IP.  It's really just a strict interpretation
of the above.

David