[c-nsp] AS-set usage

Tim Devries tdevries at northrock.bm
Mon Nov 7 16:58:55 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: James Jun
To: 'Tim Devries'; cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Sent: 11/7/05 5:07 PM
Subject: RE: [c-nsp] AS-set usage

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094826
.shtml

If you look at the link I provided as an example, router C is in a different
AS than router B and A (which are announcing 160.10.0.0/16 AS200 and
160.20.0.0/16 AS100 respectively), while router C (AS300) is announcing to
router D (AS400) the aggregate 160.0.0.0/8.  In the document it states that
because the as-set command is not in router C, "The aggregate route
160.0.0.0/8 is considered to have originated from AS-300 with origin code
IGP. The route has lost all the specific AS_PATH information of the
individual prefixes 160.10.0.0/16, of AS-200, and 160.20.0.0/16, of AS-100.
"

It then goes on to state "In any closed network, this aggregate information
propagates through BGP and back to one of the ASs that the as-set lists.
This propagation creates the possibility of a loop. The loop detection
behavior of BGP notes its own AS number in the as-set of the aggregate
update and drops the aggregate. This action prevents a loop. "

This seems to indicate that the as-set command is needed on my border
routers that are performing summarization.  For example without the as-set
command my other peers would see the route only as a summary and all other
path information would be lost...?

Regards,

Tim