[c-nsp] %STANDBY-3-BADAUTH log messages

Ian Dickinson iand at eng.pipex.net
Tue Nov 8 04:38:50 EST 2005

Matti Saarinen wrote:
>  As Rubens Kuhl Jr pointed out, the HSRP group number defines the mac
>  address used. Unfortunately, we use the same group number for every
>  interface on a router. (There must be some reason why this is done,
>  but I'm not aware of it.)

Depending on your hardware, there are limitations that may force you
in that direction.

Sup2 with PFC2 can support many HSRP instances, but only up to 16
standby group id's - beyond this things go *bang* in a nasty way.
So repeating use of group 1 in each SVI, for instance, is a very
sane and common thing to do here.

PFC1 and PFC3 can do the whole 256 id range.

>From memory, some of the other platforms insist on a unique id
per instance on a platform.  This makes running HSRP between a
PFC2-equipped Sup2 and a 7x00 for a more than a couple of
instances a right royal pain.
--
Ian Dickinson
Development Engineer