[c-nsp] Re: cisco 7200 battery

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Fri Nov 11 14:05:07 EST 2005

A while ago there was a brief discussion about the impact
of a failing battery in the 7200 I/O board.   I've searched,
but didn't find definitive conclusions.

If that battery fails then would we expect anything
unpleasant to happen if

a) the main power stays on?
b) the box is power cycled?

I'm guessing that the answer for a) is No,
and for b) it is "you'ld lose anything stored in the file
system marked as 'nvram:' because it isn't really nvram it is
'sram + battery'"

And so, with boxes that have been in operation for 5+ years,
our options are:

cheap: copy files from nvram: to slot0:, power down system,
put in new battery, power up, copy files back where they belong, reload.

expensive: use the NPE-G1 and discard the I/O boards.

Have I correctly grasped the situation?

Thanks,
-mark