[c-nsp] break arrestor

Brian Mengel bmengel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 10:44:49 EST 2005

All,
  I've been using Cisco 2511 routers for console access to other Cisco
devices for some time. Under the right circumstances, a power failure or
similar can cause a 2511 to send a break signal to all the devices that its
async ports are connected to. With console break enabled, this causes the
router to drop to rommon. This feature is desirable in my unmanned sites,
but not when it is caused unitentionally. A company called NuData previously
manufactured an arrestor that we could place in-line with the console
connection that would prevent signals caused by powering off the 2511 from
being interpreted as a break. NuData does not appear to manufacture them
anymore.
  Does anyone have another source for such devices? My only other idea is to
move towards managed power supplies so I can force a power-cycle in
desperate situations, but this idea seems cleaner.