[c-nsp] pix 515 now a boat anchor?

Charles Tompkins crt at thig.com
Tue Nov 15 17:01:48 EST 2005

I have a used PIX 515 at remote location that is experiencing trouble.  Over
a VNC-to-console-session, the PIX was upgraded from 6.1 to 6.3 to 7.0(4) via
TFTP, but was never written to memory.  It was late and we decided to call
it a night and finish it in the morning.  However, the tech at the remote
location unplugged the PIX thinking that all was fine and dandy with the
installation...  Now, the PIX is stuck in endless reboot, but can be broken
in to ROM monitor mode.  The TFTP functionality still "works," but it will
not install _any_ version of the PIX OS, it just hangs and when broken .  Is
there anyway to remedy this situation?  I thought of getting a blank stick
of RAM for it and starting from scratch.  Is there a better way?
Thanks ahead of time.

-brickmaker

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: This email including any attachments, contains
confidential information belonging to the sender. It may also be
privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other
legal rules. This information is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended
distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents
of this emailed information is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this email in error, please immediately notify us by
reply email of the error and then delete this email immediately.