[c-nsp] Same PE as global next-hop for VRF route

christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com christian.macnevin at uk.bnpparibas.com
Wed Nov 16 08:50:55 EST 2005

Any idea what versions support global fallback? The version of 12.3T I'm
looking at doesn't - is it 12.2S only?

I'd look myself, but sadly our AS contract has expired and I don't seem to
be able to get results for many of the fun features anymore.

Internet
everton at lab.ipaccess.diveo.net.br
Sent by: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
16/11/2005 13:27
Please respond to
everton at lab.ipaccess.diveo.net.br

iand
cc
cisco-nsp
Subject
Re: [c-nsp] Same PE as global next-hop for VRF route

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 04:26:52PM +0100, Ian Dickinson wrote:
> Everton da Silva Marques wrote:
> > Would the ability to use a global address of the
> > local PE as global next-hop for VRF routes be
> > a reasonable feature request?
>
> I'm not sure how CEF would handle this, but I'd like this.
>
> E.g. when I use
>  ip route vrf VRFNAME 10.20.2.0 255.255.255.224 10.20.2.0 global
>
> remote traffic can reach all of 10.20.2.0/27 except the local
> PE's own interface.  To get full coverage, I need 2 nodes doing
> this function.

It seems Juniper supports the feature we're looking
for, according the document below. Is anyone able
to convince Cisco of its usefulness? :-)

  Providing Internet Access to and from VPNs
  Configuring a Fallback Global Option
  http://tinyurl.com/bwhhc

The second solution is to use the fallback global option
on the PE-CE IP interface. If you have configured this
option, the PE router simultaneous performs two
different lookups when a packet arrives from the CE
router. One lookup is in the IP routing table of the
VRF; the other lookup is in the IP routing table of
the parent VR.

If BGP finds a route in the VRF context, it uses that
route. If BGP does not find a route in the VRF context
but does find a route in the VR context, it falls back
on the global route in the parent VR. BGP drops the
packet if it doesn't find a route in either context.

To enable fallback global on a PE-CE IP interface:

host1:pe1(config)#interface atm2/0.11
host1:pe1(config-if)#ip vrf forwarding pe11 fallback global
host1:pe1:pe11(config-if)#atm pvc 11 0 11 aal5snap
host1:pe1:pe11(config-if)#ip address 10.11.11.1 255.255.255.0
host1:pe1:pe11(config-if)#exit

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority