[c-nsp] ARIN RtConfig

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Nov 20 09:18:01 EST 2005

Kristian Larsson <kristian at juniks.net> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 03:21:05PM -0700, joshua sahala wrote:
>
>> On (18/11/05 15:15), Andriy A. Yerofyeyev wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello !
>> >
>> >      I'm pretty new in ARIN DB, but may be anyone can
>> > help me ?
>> >
>> >      When I worked with RipeDB usually we're describe our AS
>> > import/export polices and then generating config with RtConfig utility.
>> > I found this practice very useful.
>> >
>> >      Is it possible to get same results with ARIN ? (describing
>> > import/export polices , accessible thru whois , for example)
>> >

>>  whois.radb.net
>
> Isn't this wrong?
> People are using a, from what I understand, "third
> party" RR? Why can't ARIN do their job and setup a
> proper RR like the one RIPE has? It's not that
> hard... radb is even charging for this, no?
>
> I'll bet this one is gonna set of some flames ;)

It misunderstands the question, as does your reply.

ARIN has a proper RR.  http://www.irr.net/docs/list.html#ARIN

It is also free, certainly for ARIN members; I think for the ARIN
region regardless of whether one is a member; and quite possibly for
anyone who wants to put a maintainer record there and register
objects.  Contact ARIN if you need more detail than provided in the
cited link.

Calling the MERIT RADB a "third party RR" is perhaps a little too
pejorative, since it's the ancestor of all the others (ever hear of
ANS or the NSFnet or a NACR)?

The bottom line is that you can interact with the ARIN registry
exactly the same way that you are used to interacting with the RIPE
registry.

Hope this helps,

                                        ---Rob