[c-nsp] 7500 having problems after upgrade from 12.0.19S2 to 12.0.31S1

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Tue Nov 22 07:40:27 EST 2005

CLAEREBOUDT Elke wrote:
> We've upgraded a 7500 from 12.0.19S2 to 12.0.31S1 , RSP has 256K of
> memory. After 10 days router started to misbehave and we had to isolate
> it from the network. Cisco case opened gave us the answer, you need 512M
> on a rsp when it has more then 100K routes (has 170K). Cpu is very
> unstable and points to snmp engine.
> May I doubt this answer ? We have another router running fine for 6 days
> now on same release and same amount of routes. Anyone suffered the same
> problems or other within this release ?

We had horrible problems with 12.0(31)S, but most likely it was due to
mismatched IOS versions between MPLS TE headend, midpoints, and tailend.
  We disabled TE almost completely, then upgraded all of the "you can
reboot this router without a window" routers to 12.0(31)S1.  We've
re-enabled TE if the tunnels stay on 12.0(31)S1 through all likely path
combinations, and they've been running fine.  Three of the routers are
7500/RSP4/256 and are happy as a clam.

pt