[c-nsp] C4510R and SFP interfaces

Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists Lists at Hojmark.ORG
Wed Nov 23 17:03:22 EST 2005

> We have a C4510R switches with Supervisor V-10GE. We have 4
> SFP interfaces which when we go to interface configuration,
> they return a message below
>
> Cisco(config-if)#interface GigabitEthernet1/3
>
> % WARNING: Interface GigabitEthernet1/3 is usable/operational
> only in gigabit
> % uplink configuration.

That is expected. You must either:

1) Enable both 10G interfaces or
2) Enable the four GE interfaces or
3) Use just a 2-port GE line card in slot 10

This is controllable with the 'hw-module uplink' command.

The reason is, the SupV-10GE is a 68 Gbps switching engine. In a
4500, each slot (normally) gets 6G, and with 8 slots, that's 48G.
Add to that 20G on the supervisor and you have 68G and can't use
the GE ports. (Yes, that also means you're limited in what ports
you can use when running dual supervisors).

-A