[c-nsp] ICMP and SUP720

Richard Gallagher rgallagh at cisco.com
Thu Nov 24 07:11:31 EST 2005

Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2005-11-23 14:02 -0800), Ronen Isaac wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mikael,
>> That makes me feel like I am on the right track.  Just out of curiosity
>> do you know how ICMP is handled on the 720?  Is it still done in
>> software?
>
>  I think the bit of information you're looking for is not about
> the ICMP to 720, but ICMP through it, and indeed ICMP through
> it is in hardware.
>  Also 720 does CoPP in hardware, so you can protect it
> very well.

Correct, ICMP through the switch should be forwarded in HW. In addition
to CoPP there are MLS rate-limiters for ICMP to the switch:

ltd-6513-28a(config)#mls rate-limit unicast ip icmp ?
   redirect     packets requiring ICMP redirect (same VLAN)
   unreachable  packets requiring ICMP unreachable message

ltd-6513-28a(config)#

Regards, Rich

> HTH,
>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Ronen Isaac
>> Continental Computers
>> 920 N. Nash St. Bldg B
>> El Segundo, CA 90245
>> 310/416-1200:voice
>> 310/350-8456:cell
>> 310/416-1443:fax
>> ronen at conticomp.com
>> www.conticomp.com
>> www.webuycisco.com
>> AOL IM: ccro02
>>
>> **Your trusted partner is DEC, CISCO, COMPAQ, JUNIPER and more for over
>> 20 years.  Now Premiere Partners for Airaya wireless bridges too!

>>> 310/350-8456:cell