[c-nsp] NPE-300 & 12.3

Michael Markstaller mm at elabnet.de
Wed Nov 30 04:54:03 EST 2005

George Smith wrote:

>>From this article, I understand that after 12.3(10b), maintenance
> releases don't care about NPE-300. 12.3(16) had been fine for us on this
> router, but it seems following maintenance releases is meaningless as
> long as I continue using NPE-300. So, should I stop upgrading on
> platforms using NPE-300 ? I had no problems with 12.3(16), but should I
> downgrade to 12.3(10b) in case there may be a bug regarding NPE-300 but
> not fixed on later releases ?

sigh*, I upgraded a NPE-200 to 12.3(16a) (being LNS only, very light
load) last week and just got some bad headaches while reading your post..
Anyway, the reason to upgrade was trouble with the previously running
12.2(16)B which doesn't get a current rebuild either and thing are
running fine.. I also don't see anything bad in "show ver"
The according note for the NPE-200 says "Software support ends in Cisco
IOS® Software releases 12.1(14)E, 12.2(24), 12.0(27)S, and 12.2(15)T."

So, don't know the answer but the same question about wether what best
practice might be when there's another reason to upgrade ?

Michael