[c-nsp] performance difference between RSP8 and RSP16

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Nov 30 09:45:05 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 04:35:12PM -0800, Yinglam Cheung wrote:
> Does anyone have any info about performance difference between RSP8 and RSP16?

The main increase is memory. The CPU is faster but we recommend
distributed switching for features so the CPU isn't that relevant
in the packet switching path.

> Any reason why 12.4T is NOT developed for 7500?

Yes. The features that those trains are now targeting are not
in the distributed path and this box will no live forever.
The only reason it picked up features in those trains was just
because they were thought to be platform independent which isn't
always the case.

Real feature development on that platform has bascially stopped.

What you have now on existing features is about all you will
ever get for that platform.

Rodney