[c-nsp] looking for a switch recomendations

Andre Gironda andre at operations.net
Wed Nov 30 17:57:23 EST 2005

I might suggest the Cisco Catalyst 2948-G-GE-TX, which runs CatOS, if you
can find one.  It's got a lot of 10/100/1000 ports in 1U... something like
52 if you get 4 UTP SFP's.

If I were you I'd avoid the similarily-cheaply priced CE500 switch, which
does not have a CLI.  Not having a CLI can be really annoying, especially in
the long-term.  It took me about an hour to configure 48 ports on a CE500,
when `set port 1/1-48' or `interface range gi0/1 - 48' would have fully
configured another Cisco switch product in a few seconds.

The power redundancy requirement is strange... personally I'd rather have a
modular switch... otherwise power redundancy is kind of moot.  I'm a big fan
of the Catalyst 6500 line of products because they're solid performing
network warriors.. Sup2U is probably nice enough for your needs, but there
are 3 generations in the Sup3/Sup720 line... and I hear that the Sup 1440 is
in EFT's...

dre