[c-nsp] 7507 - Extra RSP4 and Hot swapping

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Wed Nov 30 19:54:43 EST 2005

Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> Basically. we want to insert the extra RSP4 into the 7507 as a warm backup.
> is this possible?

Yep.

> The next question would be, is can this be done as a hot insert or does the
> unit have to be brought down?

To be a real 'warm' backup you need SSO, which requires 12.2S. Chances
are, you're probably not running this so the best you can get is RPR or
RPR+, which requires IOS to be booted on the slave RSP... Better than
nothing, but not ideal. I would highly recommend upgrading to 12.2(18)S
for the additional redundency features, or wait for 12.2SB which should
be out sometime this year (Rodney?)

David