[c-nsp] Graphing traffic for specific BGP peer on exchange points

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Oct 2 14:37:20 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 08:19:30AM -0700, Ian Cox wrote:
> >> On a positive note, with 7600-SIP-400 and the GE SPA we just released
> >> (12.2(18)SXF we added support for the much requested MAC address
> >accounting.
> >
> >That's cool :-) - what about "native" 7600 interfaces, like the onboard
> >interfaces of the Sup720, or on a WS-X6408A-GBIC?
>
> There are no counters that indicate how much traffic is sent to/from
> MAC addresses for WS-X... line cards. The GE SPA MAC chip  had MAC
> accounting, and other features added to it specifically asked for by ISPs.

Thanks for the clear words.  I'm not sure I can convince management to
invest in SIP+GE SPA just to get MAC accounting back (not with the
current prices for bandwidth).

OTOH: how does bridged netflow work?  Doesn't it contain MAC layer
information?  And if it does, where does it come from? - read "can it
be used to update the (software) counters for MAC accounting"?

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de