[c-nsp] VPN max throughput

Grant Moerschel gm at wavegard.com
Mon Oct 3 10:45:16 EDT 2005

We terminate 3DES VPN connections on a 7206 without an accelerator. The
Internet connection is a burstable OC3 (155 Mbps).  I am looking for a
list of things to consider that will affect max throughput for the VPN
connection.  Things I can think of are:

1) capacity of 7206 for vpn
2) latency between the headends which is about 20ms
3) IPsec overhead
4) Packet size
5) The Internet paths through which data flows.

What is a good method to estimate the max I might be able to realize and
what knobs might I be able to change to get more throughput?  We'd like
to get 70 Mbps for quick bursts. Am I dreaming?

Thanks, Grant Moerschel * gm -at- wavegard.com