[c-nsp] VPN max throughput

Luan Nguyen luan.nguyen at mci.com
Mon Oct 3 11:25:32 EDT 2005

You are dreaming :)
I would buy a vam2 accelerator card and put in npeg1 so you could use the 3
gig/faste port on there without affecting the backplane...then we are
talking about you might get to your dream with oh..say 90% cpu utilization.
If I remember correctly, the package of npeg1/vam2 cost about 7000 US
1)	7206 with npeg1 probably won't get near 100Mbps for clear ip trafic.
Capacity of the 7206VXR 		will exceed your
no-accl-card-3des-vpn
3&4)	ipsec overhead = yes.  Avoid fragmentation if possible.  Packet size
around 1200 seems to get	better thruput.

So I would suggest...use des, 1200 packetsize, no keepalive, short preshared
key, longer ipsec/ike timeout
Estimate max you might get ~ 15M

-luan