[c-nsp] VPN max throughput

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Oct 3 16:06:50 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:08:11PM -0400, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> You'd be lucky to see 260 Mb/s of raw IP packet forwarding out of
> a 7206VXR with an NPE-G1, going downhill, with the wind at your back ;-)

Nah, that's overly pessimistic.  I've seen 300 Mbit/s. go through a 7301
(which effectively is a 1RU NPE-G1) and the CPU load was up to 25%.

This was with full BGP tables, (smallish) ACLs and full unsampled netflow
running on the box.  Traffic coming in via a subinterface of GE0/0 and
leaving via GE0/1 and GE0/2.

This definitely wasn't worst case traffic (all 64 bytes, every packet
generating a new flow entry), but even for such traffic, the NPE-G1 will
handle over 200 Mbit/s.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de