[c-nsp] Non-default BGP hold / keepalive timers

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Mon Oct 3 19:25:23 EDT 2005

David J. Hughes wrote:
>>Providing your BGP peering neighbor's implementation doesn't have
>>knobs to
>>disallow a connection below a certain holdtime value.
>

> Can't see one in IOS and JunOS doesn't appear to have one either from
> my reading.  Interestingly JunOS uses default settings of 3 * 30
> seconds rather than IOS's 3 * 60 seconds.  If it works with IOS and
> JunOS peers I think I'm pretty safe.

IOS has the knobs.  Bruce was referring to implementations that use it:

Lab-R2(config-router)#neig 1.1.1.1 timers ?
   <0-65535>  Keepalive interval

Lab-R2(config-router)#neig 1.1.1.1 timers 5 ?
   <0-65535>  Holdtime

Lab-R2(config-router)#neig 1.1.1.1 timers 5 15 ?
   <0-65535>  Minimum hold time from neighbor
   <cr>

pt