[c-nsp] IOS 12.2S Train

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Oct 4 11:51:10 EDT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:45:24AM -0400, David Coulson wrote:
> Gert Doering wrote:
> > If you referring to "send packet to a directly connected target (on
> > ethernet) that has no entry in the ARP cache" - that's standard behaviour,
> > and always have been.
>
> I don't have the same effect when using 12.2(29) or 12.3(16) on the same
> router. The big issue is that SYN packets to systems without ARP/CEF
> entries are dropped, so the connection will hang until it times out.

Normally, the SYN packet should cause an ARP entry to spring into
existance, and the second SYN sent by the machine on the other end will
then go through to the receiver.

If the ARP entry / CEF adjacency doesn't come to life at all, then there's
something severely wrong indeed (and I misunderstood your description of
the problem).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de