[c-nsp] Is the following HSRP setup possible?

d99 dollar99yo at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 6 19:21:27 EDT 2005

I have a site with a router that I would like to make
redundant.  My connection to the ISP is ethernet all
the way, and I currently have only one public IP
address between my last hop and the ISP.  Is it
possible to use HSRP to make this router redundant on
both eth0 and eth1 interfaces?  I was successful in
setting up HSRP for the eth1 interfaces, but I have
plenty of public IP's to use on the eth1 side. I
attempted to create a standby ip for the eth0
interfaces using my eth0 IP address, but the router
complained that the IP was currently in use by eth0.
I also tried creating bogus IP addr's on eth0 with the
legit IP for the standby IP, but that failed to route
traffic to the ISP.

Hopeful setup:

ISP Router (1.1.1.1/30) -> Switch1
MyRouter-A eth0 (1.1.1.2/30 HSRP)-> Switch1
MyRouter-B eth0 (1.1.1.2/30 HSRP)-> Switch1

MyRouter-A eth1 (2.2.2.1/24 HSRP) -> Switch2
MyRouter-B eth1 (2.2.2.1/24 HSRP) -> Switch2

My goal is that if either link (eth0 or eth1) goes
down on the active router, the standby router will
then take over.

Is the above scenario possible?

Thanks in advance,