[c-nsp] Re: IOS 12.2S Train

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Fri Oct 7 08:58:47 EDT 2005

Rodney Dunn wrote:

> The team is eager and willing to fix any problem in the
> 12.2(25)S4 thorttle. I talked with them yesterday.

I'm running 12.2(18)S9 on a 7500 w/ dual RSP4. I thought IPC buffers
were sized dynamically in this build of IOS? I did a 'ipc cache 5000'
prior to the error, but I don't know if it's an IPC allocation issue, or
something else - Router doesn't seem to have any issues with memory in
general.

Oct  6 13:29:53: %IPC_RSP_CBUS-3-NOBUF: No more IPC memd buffers to
transmit IPC message

core2#sh mem
                Head    Total(b)     Used(b)     Free(b)   Lowest(b)
Largest(b)
Processor   42E012C0   220196160   140962264    79233896    64068528
73820368
     Fast   42DE12C0      131072      126864        4208        4208
    4184

core2#sh ipc st

                            IPC System Status

 Time last IPC stat cleared : never

 This processor is the IPC master server.
 Do not drop output of IPC frames for test purposes.

 1000 IPC Message Headers Cached.

                                                    Rx Side     Tx Side

 Total Frames                                          3400390
5117388           0          0
 Total from Local Ports                                4682968     5041524
 Total Protocol Control Frames                         2520756       75864
 Total Frames Dropped                                        0           0

                             Service Usage

 Total via Unreliable Connection-Less Service          3324526           6
 Total via Unreliable Sequenced Connection-Less Svc          0           0
 Total via Reliable Connection-Oriented Service          75864     2520756

                      IPC Protocol Version 0

 Total Acknowledgements                                2520756       75864
 Total Negative Acknowledgements                             0           0

                             Device Drivers

 Total via Local Driver                                      0           0
 Total via Platform Driver                             3400390     2520762
 Total Frames Dropped by Platform Drivers                    0           0
 Total Frames Sent when media is quiesced                                0

                     Reliable Tx Statistics

 Re-Transmission                                                         0
 Re-Tx Timeout                                                           0

          Rx Errors                              Tx Errors

 Unsupp IPC Proto Version          0  Tx Session Error                  0
 Corrupt Frame                     0  Tx Seat Error                     0
 Duplicate Frame                   0  Destination Unreachable           0
 Out-of-Sequence Frame             0  Tx Test Drop                      0
 Dest Port does Not Exist          0  Tx Driver Failed                  0
 Rx IPC Msg Alloc Failed           0  Ctrl Frm Alloc Failed             0
 Unable to Deliver Msg             0

          Buffer Errors                          Misc Errors

 IPC Msg Alloc                     0  IPC Open Port                     0
 Emer IPC Msg Alloc                0  No HWQ                            0
 IPC Frame PakType Alloc           0  Hardware Error                    0
 IPC Frame MemD Alloc              1

          Tx Driver Errors

 No Transport                      0
 MTU Failure                       0